Oct 9, 2007

Wasn't away that long

The last post I put up was about taking a break from drawing and posting here. My sketchbook went along on my trip to Austin, Tx last Thursday, and I just had to draw in it. That must be a good sign if I can't completely give up sketching. Can I actually make money with the skills that I have? Still not sure especially when there are people out there who can draw circles around me. There are many people out there who can tell stories, compose interesting paintings, and design amazing characters. On the other hand, there are those who just know how to get their stuff out there, land those jobs even if they don't draw or paint that well. They are getting freelance jobs and working from home, not worrying about a day job that sucks the life out of them. No, I'm not jealous of those artists. Good for them. Where does that leave the rest of us? Those who haven't gotten that first job that gets things going? I honestly don't want to think about all that stuff right now. The actual pleasure I get out of drawing with no intention of promoting pieces and getting published is enough for the time being. If someone wants to pay me so I can quit my day jobs, then I'll be more than happy to give it my best. That's enough for now because, like I said, I just want to do what I like.
The ink drawing above was done with a Faber-Castell PITT pen. The guy was either asleep or reading because he didn't move for the longest time; he definitely wasn't dead because he eventually got up.

Here's a pic of the pen set that I picked up a while ago next to this neat key chain that I found in a used game shop in Austin. The store focused on older games and even had old consoles like Atari and Intellivision. I'll link to them as soon as I ask my brother or Jason what the name of that place was. Game Over? I think that was it.

-cm

1 comment:

Adrian said...

I always wondered what those looked like. I've seen them before but I didn't know they were the Pitt pens that Toth used. He was totally in love with them and in every interview I read with him he would mention he loved them. I'll try them out sometime.